Share | 

News Pics and More...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News Pics and More...   Fri Sep 15 2017, 23:12

First They Killed My Father’ review: Angelina Jolie’s powerful take on Cambodian genocide

Originally published September 14, 2017 at 10:12 am | Updated September 14, 2017 at 12:29 pm

The Cambodian genocide of the late 1970s is seen through the eyes of a young girl in this quietly powerful epic directed by Angelina Jolie. It opens at the Crest in Seattle and shows on Netflix starting Sept. 15. Rating: 4 stars out of 4.

By Soren Andersen
Special to The Seattle Times

The central, defining image in “First They Killed My Father” are the eyes of a child.

The child is Loung Ung (Sareum Srey Moch), a young Cambodian girl. Her eyes reflect confusion, fear and, yes, a sense of wonder as they look upon a world turned upside down. They’re eyes reflecting above all the child’s struggle to comprehend the incomprehensible.

The incomprehensible here is the Cambodian genocide of the late 1970s, when it’s estimated close to 2 million people — a quarter of the country’s population — was exterminated by the communist Khmer Rouge regime of Pol Pot.

Loung became a humanitarian activist and co-wrote the screenplay with the picture’s director, Angelina Jolie, a prominent humanitarian in her own right. Loung’s story dovetails closely with Jolie’s concerns, and it’s inspired her to create a movie of epic scale and impressive quiet power.

Shot on location in Cambodia in the Khmer language, it’s a family story with the travails of Loung and her parents and brothers and sisters serving as a microcosm of their nation’s anguish.

The act from which the title is derived doesn’t occur until almost halfway through the movie. Until then, Jolie presents a detailed portrait of a loving, protective father (Phoeung Kompheak) and his gentle-spirited wife (Sveng Socheata) trying as best they can to keep the family together and help their kids cope with the relentless, step-by-step process of dehumanization they’re subjected to by the Khmer Rouge. City residents, they’re forced from their home, stripped of their possessions, marched to the countryside, forced to work in the fields, confined to a concentration camp and starved. Ultimately they’re separated and the parents are done away with.

Jolie draws restrained, naturalistic performances from her all-Cambodian cast, particularly young Sareum Srey Moch. There’s a stillness and a stoicism in her portrayal that makes her an unforgettable figure in this unforgettable movie.

Soren Andersen: asoren7575@yahoo.com

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/movies/first-they-killed-my-father-review-angelina-jolies-powerful-take-on-cambodian-genocide/
Back to top Go down
http://thejoliepittfamily.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News Pics and More...   Sat Sep 16 2017, 00:10

The Meaning Behind the Yellow Flower Angelina Jolie's Six Kids All Wore to the First They Killed My Father Premiere
by Vannessa Jackson | Fri, Sep 15, 2017 7:15 PM

It's a family affair!

Angelina Jolie has been busy at work promoting her newest film First They Killed My Father out today. For Thursday night's New York City premiere, Angelina walked the red carpet with all six of her children. Her son, Maddox Jolie-Pitt was an executive producer on the film but Angelina shared that her other children were also around during filming.

"Everybody was on set," she revealed. "I can't be a parent and not have my kids around and sharing this creative life with them." The family was dressed to the nines and the actress' six children were sporting a yellow flower

The flowers appear to be plumerias, which symbolize positivity and are used to celebrate special occasions. It has been a rough year for the Jolie-Pitt family to say the least, so it's nice to see them celebrating and uniting as one.

the-meaning-behind-the-yellow-flower-angelina-jolie-s-six-kids-all-wore-to-the-first-they-killed-my-father-premiere
Back to top Go down
http://thejoliepittfamily.forumotion.com

News Pics and More...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 33 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33